Friday, August 28, 2015

What I'm currently working on

I got a big batch of fresh heads from a tannery, and I'm so excited to get started on them! My biggest project in this batch is this HUGE Icelandic Ram skull
The horns are fully curled on both sides and are gorgeous. He came with this label saying that he has "weird teeth" so when he's a little cleaner I'll be able to see them better and find out what's weird
I've got him macerating in a tub now, it should take at least the weekend for the tissues to start falling off. 
I also got this awesome Jacob sheep! Jacob sheep are adorable and have wool that's great for yarn, and they can often grow 4 or 5 horns at once! He's macerating in the tub with the ram. Tomorrow I'll pull his and the rams horns off because they can be damaged by maceration. They'll go back on when the skulls are all done. 
The rest of the skulls I got! A beaver, otter, bobcat, coyote, skunk, domestic rabbit, cottontail, gar, and a doe! These are all still in my freezer, but I bought some new smaller tubs and I plan to start a rabbit, bobcat, and maybe the gar tomorrow. 


1 comment:

  1. what tannery? i've ordered from promislandranch.net, which is in WA, but you mention one in OR, which is where i live! my blog: jeromycilley.com. found your blog through your youtube through reddit!

    ReplyDelete